KIS F000021

Our history

The founder of A/S Kistefos Træsliberi, Consul Anders Sveaas (1840-1917), was a typical entrepreneur, a visionary with a strong business sense. He was engaged in several Norwegian and foreign enterprises as far away as Australia and South America. In 1881, Sveaas was one of the founders of Heen Pulp Mill near Hønefoss, and it was probably at that time he realised the potential of the waterfall Kistefossen in the river Randselven at Jevnaker.

He acquired the rights to the waterfall, and the land to build the factory buildings on, and in 1889 started A/S Kistefos Træsliberi, of which he was the majority share-holder. In 1890, after a mere year of intensive construction the mill began producing wood pulp. Production continued up until 1955.

As a result of a disagreement within the family, Kistefos Træsliberi was sold out of the Sveaas family's ownership to a neighbouring company Viul Pulp Mill. At the time, this business was a daughter company of Bergen Bank. In 1991, the hydro-electric power stations were sold to the municipal energy company.

In 1993, 85% of the shares of Kistefos Træsliberi were sold to Christen Sveaas, Consul Anders Sveaas' grandson. Christen Sveaas now owns the company along with about thirty other shareholders. Kistefos Træsliberi presently owns large properties at Kistefos, including the old factory buildings that presently make up Kistefos-Museet. Twelve of these buildings are leased to the museum for a nominal sum.

KIS F000099
KIS F000012a
KIS F000111