by Edgar Ballo
Blue tulip is composed of two
types of marble from the south of Nordland
county in Norway; the blue that makes up the
flower is from Velfjord and the green that makes up the leaves and stem are from Bindalen.
The contrast between the sculpture’s organic form and the dead, massive material gives Blå tulipan an intriguing dimension. The flower seems to have burst its way out of the earth, but the hard and unchanging marble ensures that the tulip’s petals remain closed.
In the spring of 1993, Ballo made several drawings of the black and white tulips in the flowerbed outside his house in Vega in Nordland. During the summer of the same year, he visited a museum in Eidsborg in western Telemark. Here he saw Djuvestoga, the house of the so-called Djuve King. The famous “rosemaler”1 Olav Torjusson decorated the interior here in 1799 and he had used a very special shade of blue that made a strong impression on Ballo. This shade of blue, in addition to his springtime tulip studies, became the starting point for the sculpture you see at Kistefos as well as a series of three paintings.